What Is the Bach Society?
The Bach Society of Saint Louis is an organization dedicated to performing choral works by Johann Sebastian Bach and other classical and contemporary composers. Under the direction of Dr. A. Dennis Sparger, the Society delivers a varied and exciting season to an ever more diverse public.
When Was the Bach Society Established?
The distinguished history of the Bach Society began in 1941, when Dr. William Heyne determined to offer the people of St. Louis the opportunity to perform and hear the great music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Since that date, the Society has carried out its mission without interruption, and is St. Louis’ oldest continuous choral society.
What Is the Mission of the Bach Society?
To provide stimulating and enriching musical and educational experiences for audiences and performers in the tradition of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Who Oversees the Management of the Bach Society?
The Bach Society is governed by a volunteer board whose wide range of useful business, professional, musical, and volunteer expertise make possible the financial stability and artistic achievements of the Society. The Board has in place Long Range, Diversity and Marketing Plans, and a policy for the growing Endowment Fund. The Society is proud that 100% of its Board members make a substantial financial contribution each year and those Board members are largely responsible for the financial success of fundraising events.
How Does the Bach Society Benefit the Community?
Besides presenting four major public concert performances as well as several special appearances annually, at ADA-accessible locations, the Bach Society of Saint Louis provides the following benefits:
– Free concert tickets to under-served high school and college students as well as high school scholarships through our Education and Outreach Program, Giving Bach to St.Louis
– Financial assistance and performance experiences for aspiring soloists through our Young Artists Awards scholarship program
– Encore! is a new education and outreach program, introduced in 2009. A local university chorus is invited to join the Bach Society Chorus for a rehearsal. In addition to rehearsing together, each chorus performs pieces from recent concerts
– St. Louis Sings, an annual St. Louis Choral Calendar of over 30 area choruses and 120 choral concerts, which is printed and mailed to area high schools and universities
– A collaborative appearance for a children’s choir every year as part of the Society’s Christmas Candlelight Concert
– Community exposure to outstanding soloists from around the country
– Supplemental income and professional experience for trained choral singers, soloists, orchestral musicians and freelance instrumentalists