Funded in part by:
The Young Artists Awards were established to enhance professional training for career-oriented singers. Recipients receive an annual stipend of $2,500 payable over ten months and are provided with experiences to strengthen their development as soloists and professional choral singers.
Meet our 2019-2020 Season Young Artists:
Award Benefits and Details
The Young Artists gain experience covering solos in major works and attending dress rehearsals with visiting guest artists, giving them the opportunity to observe and interact with professional soloists. Young Artists also present an annual recital and perform at other Bach Society events including education concerts and fundraisers.
The Young Artists are also responsible for providing musical leadership in the Bach Society Chorus through exceptional preparation of their parts. Young Artists rehearse as members of the Bach Society Chorus from late August through May on Monday evenings, 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Singers must be available to attend all rehearsals in order to be eligible for an audition.
Eligible Young Artists:
– have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate study in music
– are pursuing a professional vocal career
– are currently in private vocal study
– can present proof of employment authorization in the United States
– are thirty-two years old or younger
– are available to attend all Monday evening rehearsals from late August through mid May
Auditions for the 2020-2021 season will take place in June 2020 in front of a small panel of judges. Auditions last approximately 20 minutes and include sight reading, tonal memory and vocalization. Applications will open in March 2020, and singers who have filled out an application will be notified if/when they will be awarded an audition.
Singers will be asked to present three vocal selections that demonstrate their range, timbre, flexibility, diction, expressiveness and stage presence from the following:
1. a Baroque aria from a cantata, oratorio or mass in any language (this does not need to be memorized)
2. an opera aria in a foreign language (this should be performed from memory)
3. an operetta/musical theatre song in English, suitable for informal entertainment (this should be performed from memory)
An accompanist will be provided. Please bring music for the accompanist marked with changes in tempo, dynamics, ritards, etc.
Should you be granted an audition, we will require one letter of recommendation from a voice teacher or choral director giving a professional evaluation of your musicianship, leadership abilities, dependability and vocal potential.
Recent Young Artist Award Recipients:
2019-20 Danielle Feinstein, Freddie Rice, Olivia Roland, Micheal Lowe
2018-19 Danielle Feinstein, Freddie Rice, Chris Stanfill
2017-18 Madalyn Mentor, Emerald Barbour, Kurtis Heinrich, Chris Stanfill
2016-17 Madalyn Mentor, Katherine Menke, Kurtis Heinrich, Tyler Green
2015-16 Madalyn Mentor, Katherine Menke, James Stevens, Ravi Raghuram
2014-15 Mary Beth Freitag, Lori Hoffman, Anthony Heinemann, Ravi Raghuram
For a complete list of award recipients, click here.